Friday 10 February 2017

The Road To Skye


As a born and bred Aberdonian, you would think that I would have made the most of my location and explored my beautiful country from top to toe, but I'm ashamed to say, I've barely scraped the surface. This is something I'm determined to change.



Flash forward to a rumbling engine so loud that, even if we shouted at the top of our voices, my boyfriend and I still couldn't hear each other. Both of us accepted that it was better just to turn up Fleetwood Mac, sing out of tune, and attempt to drown out all the rattling. We didn't care, we were having the time of our lives.

To my absolute delight, I had been gifted a voucher from Bayview Campers for my birthday, entitling me to a weekend hire of an old-style VW Campervan and this journey was one of many, which aim to contribute towards a greater understanding and appreciation for this beautiful country I live in. And our vehicle? Well, she was an absolute beauty! A bright orange, bay window stunner from 1973 called Shiehallion (named after a Scottish munro), with a rustic charm and homemade 60s-style flower curtains that press-studded over the windows at night in a slightly wonky fashion. I absolutely loved it, and if it hadn't have been for the owner wanting it back, I'd still be hanging out in it now.

The owner asked us where we were planning to go, and after telling him about our 500 mile planned route, he did look a bit bemused - which I didn't quite understand at the time. After a guided tour of the vehicle and a few false starts (there was a precise four stage sequence required for engine turnover), she roared out of the wee farm near Ellon and we were off. I immediately understood why 500 miles might be a bit ambitious - she was amazing but she was struggling to hit 50mph. My faith didn't dwindle - she'd get us there - I was sure of it.

After taking the coastal road through Macduff, finding out that you should probably start breaking two weeks before you needed to actually stop, understanding you needed muscles the size of Arnold Schwarzenegger to turn the steering wheel, and swinging in past Lossiemouth to show our sweet new ride to our friends, Inverness was our first pit stop.

Using our heads and a big wooden stick to open up the roof (absolute technique), we set up camp at the basic but beautiful Culloden Moor Caravan Club, just ten minutes (or five in a normal vehicle) from Inverness Airport. We immediately cracked open our Shiehallion Craft Lager, which had been cooling nicely in our fridge (a nice addition from Bayview Campers). Following a successful burger feast, cooked on our fully equipped gas stove kitchen, and a walk around the neighbouring forest, we called it a night.

After a surprisingly comfortable night's sleep on the fold-down sofa bed, we were up and showered bright and early to set off towards Loch Ness. Luckily for us, it was a brilliant, bright sunny day for Nessie hunting. After an unsuccessful search at the loch-side (you're out there Nessie - I know it), we stopped for brunch at the Clansman Hotel for a baked tattie and tuna. Not fancy, but delightful all the same.

We hit the road again, onto what can only be explained as one of the most spectacular routes known to man, (I don't even think that's a bold claim). This road is the A87 - I know it sounds glamorous, but bear with me. This is a major highland route, which runs from Invergarry all the way to Uig on Skye.

Just when you think the rural highland views can't get any better, you pass through Glen Shiel. It is home to the Five Sisters of Kintail - Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr nann Spàinteach and Sgùrr nan Saighead - in the lower glen, as well as Saileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg and Aonach Meadhoin in the upper glen. (FYI - I'd have given anything to watch you try and pronounce these). The only way I can describe it is like something out of a movie, with rolling mountains on each side of the road taking your breath away. It is absolutely spectacular.

The majestic Eilean Donan Castle then lies ahead, which is a 'must get out of the van and take a million pictures' worthy. The 13th century castle is situated where three great sea lochs meet and if you time it right (which we didn't) the castle is completely surrounded by water. I recommend sitting down, soaking in the atmosphere on a rock somewhere quiet. This is difficult due to the bus loads of tourists coming in and out, but trust me, it's worth the stop.

Just fifteen minutes from the castle, the imposing Skye Bridge comes into view. At the foot of the bridge it looks a bit like you're about to ascend the big dipper rollercoaster, but it's not quite as traumatic as that. I got little butterflies of excitement about Skye - somewhere I'd never been before. Although, if I'd known what lay ahead I might have felt a little differently....but that leg of the journey is for another day.....

Get yourself on the road to Skye - it's a cracker!




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig