Monday 5 February 2018

Morzine Is Always A Good Idea


Imagine the excitement; sat onboard one of easyJet's finest*, my usual 'rushed through security and almost missed flight' airport stress-face nowhere to be seen, eagerly awaiting the roar of the jet engines to lift us off somewhere far from this bleak Aberdeen morning.

The reason? A dreamy return to the snowy chocolate box, picture postcard perfect French Alpine village of Morzine in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region of south-eastern France. Originally a mining town, the resort has gained traction as a world-class resort both in the summer and winter seasons.
Understandably, the resort is exceptionally popular all year round, but unlike the snobbiness which comes with some other ski resorts, Morzine is relaxed, welcoming you in and making you want to immediately buy a property of your own and never leave.

To say I had been looking forward to it was an understatement - I couldn't wait to put my snowboarding skills (or lack of) to the test once more, not to mention getting to live like a rich sod for a few days - I imagine not unlike those who have enough money to buy the actual mountains. (I can dream 🙄 ).

After meeting a chap in a sombrero (unexpected driver attire), an hour's transfer and a wee nap, we arrived at Treeline Chalet's beautiful Apartment Sante. Nestled on the very edge of town, with an outdoor hot tub, spectacular views and gourmet meals - what's not to like? No really. We booked a short break - four days, three nights - and were greeted by our hosts, Ally and Olly, and a freshly baked chocolate chip banana bread. As we tucked in, the first snowfall of the season had arrived. YAS.

To say I'm a beginner when it comes to 'shredding' down the powdery white slopes of the Portes du Soleil mountain range is a slight understatement. But everyone has to start somewhere, right?!

Francois, our stereotypically French (his words, not mine) instructor from Mint Snowboarding met my boyfriend and I at the top of the Prodains Express on Avoriaz, and reassuringly, he immediately started to take the piss out of me. Yeah, ok - I would have too.

A few tantrums (guilty), a few near fainting moments on ski lifts (whyyy am I so scared 😩 ) the fantastically fun Francois had got us both down a blue run. "Woo hoo, you survived, uh?!" he said. My moment of glory was short lived when he thrust a contact card into my hand and said I should probably have some more lessons. Yes Francois, I definitely agree! We had a great time - thank you.

Morzine is a cute little snowy village to explore at night - which we did a few nights in a row. On the chalet staff's day off, we went to the delightful restaurant L'Etale and enjoyed chicken a la Morzine (which is basically chicken with all the cheese - my dream), with a nice crisp white (obvs), before sauntering home as snowflakes fell on our cheeks. If you love a sweet treat, there's an amazing wee manny - Seb - selling freshly made crêpes near the Tourism Office in the main square. The Nutella and coconut filling is amazing FYI.

Vodka Friday in the chalet (oh god), not great when you have a super early pick up for the airport, but on we go. With the other chalet guests exuding high expectations that the Scottish were hardy drinkers, I couldn't let the side down. To my surprise, the homemade Werther's Original vodka went down a treat, (I'll blog about how to make this yourself soon). A few crazy card tricks from our hosts, stories of mishaps on the slopes with the guests and several shots later, our trip was drawing to an end.

At -14 degrees and 4am in the morning, it was time to leave. Short, yet sweet....but we will be back soon. Morzine is always a good idea.

*Flying Aberdeen - Geneva direct with easyJet








SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Must say very very impressive stuff. And helpful too. Thanks for sharing.
    French Alps Chalet for Sale

    ReplyDelete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig