Tuesday 25 July 2017

Seafood & Sunsets In Applecross


Once Stuart had driven up Bealach na Bà and I had let go of the campervan door I'd been holding in mild fear (I'm a totally bad passenger), I was sincerely hoping it was going to be worth it at the other side. Well...lets just say I was absolutely not disappointed. Hello Applecross!

We swooped down the hill into the quaint little village and immediately drew into the Applecross Campsite where we had booked in for the night. I couldn't really believe our luck with the weather, which was definitely taking my mind off having to drive Bealach na Bà in reverse tomorrow morning. 😨

Stuart and I walked into reception where we were greeted by a lovely woman who checked us in and told us where our pitch was. We were pleased to have a great spot at the end of the main strip where we could just see the water through the trees as we sipped a cold beer....aaaahhhh just what I needed! A friendly neighbour even swapped hook-up leads with us as ours was a little short. As usual I ended up talking to his tiny little dog while Stuart sorted it out. Always animals before humans.


We had asked the kind woman at reception where she could recommend we go for dinner on this and she gave us a whole array of options. However, the stand-out recommendation was the Applecross Inn, where we were told we could find the freshest 'lushest' seafood you could ever wish for. She gave me a wee menu recommendation too and I couldn't help but think she wanted to come with us a little bit.

Off we set, walking a mere five minutes down the hill by foot and we came to the main street which runs along Applecross bay and found the Applecross Inn jam packed with friendly visitors from all around the world.


Since it was such a lovely evening, we chose to sit outside, which meant we had perfect sunset views over to Raasay, with the hills of Skye just poking over the top. Here's me trying to pull off a casual pose, but really I've ended up looking like a really awkward human. Standard.


Gin and tonic ordered, we had a look over the extensive menu, located inside on the blackboard. It contained all sorts of fishy treats like locally smoked salmon, haddock, crab, oysters, king scallops and lobster. In the end, I went for crab and mango in a curried mayonnaise, which came served up in a giant shell. Delicious!


Having also shovelled in a haddock supper and a few more gins, the sun was just starting to set and I didn't really want to move....but alas, it was time to head back up the road for our first night's sleep in our campervan.


To say I was in love with Applecross was an understatement. It might be a brief visit but it was most definitely worth it and is somewhere I will be coming back to. I can't promise you'll get the same weather, but you will get the same food and hospitality.

Scotland wins again.

For rates at the Applecross Campsite, click here.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig